google ad placement

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Photo via Pexels

A Senior’s Guide to Successful Downsizing in Retirement

Downsizing can be a stressful process. This is especially true if you’ve lived in the same home for decades, as sorting through a lifetime’s worth of belongings can be completely overwhelming! Fortunately, planning ahead will help make the downsizing process as effortless as possible. So, take a look through the following resources for help cutting back your belongings and choosing a new place to call home.

Is Downsizing Right for You?
Before you start paring down your possessions and hunting for a smaller home, make sure downsizing is the right move.

Decluttering Room by Room
Decluttering your home in sections will make the process much more manageable.

Choosing a New Neighborhood
Research different places you would like to live and pay special attention to the cost of living, healthcare availability, and recreational opportunities.

Budgeting for Hidden Expenses
Leave room in your budget for hidden expenses like moving costs and real estate agent fees.

Preparing yourself for a downsizing move is a complex process. Don’t jump into this big decision without thinking through your options carefully! Ensure downsizing is right for you, research different retirement locations, and make sure your budget will cover all of the expenses associated with selling and buying a home. Good planning will save you from downsizing regret!

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Can various types of medical gas cylinders be stored comingled in the same storage room?

Medical Gas Cylinder Storage

Our explainationis as follows:

NFPA 99 does not prohibit various medical gas cylinders from being stored in the same room as long as flammable and non-flammable gasses are not comingled.  Typical medical gases whose storage can be comingled with oxygen include: Carbon Dioxide, Medical Air, Nitrogen, Nitrous Oxide, Helium, Argon, and Xenon. All criteria as specified in EC.02.05.09 applies as well as NFPA 99-2012 requiring full and empty cylinders to be segregated from each other.

As previously indicated, non-flammable medical gas cylinders cannot be comingled with; flammable materials, cylinders containing flammable gases, or containers containing flammable liquids. Typical flammable gases may include but are not limited to: Acetylene, Butane, Ammonia, Ethane, and Propane.  This prohibition is outlined in NFPA 99-2012;

Medical gas cylinders are also not allowed to be stored in an enclosure containing motor driven devices with the exception of cylinders intended for instrument air reserve headers that must comply with NFPA 99-2012; This reference can be found at NFPA 99-2012;  
The only other item that you must be aware of is that the storage unit storing these cylinders must be vented to the outside atmosphere.  And  you must chain the cylinders in two different areas, the top and the bottom of the cylinder.  Not touching one another, unable to clash should there be an earthquake.  And on the outside of the storage unit, there must be the signage that denotes the type of gases that are in the storage unit.  It must be posted to the outside door.  


Monday, March 4, 2019

New a solution for your outdoor generator needs with your Congregate Living Health Facility?

We have a great solution for your generator needs!

This company does the generator and installation very well, we have used them for several of our clients and their reviews of the process was better than perfect.  Cannot beat that, right?


Here is their link:

Give them a ring and they will come and do a free assessment to determine your size and ideal location.  It is really that easy!

Monday, February 25, 2019

Some good questions were recently asked of us, here are the responses to them.

Are curtains only required if it's a shared room?

Do trash cans in the bedroom need a lid? 

How many fire extinguishers shoukd we have in a 2500 sq. ft. Facility?

Are we required to have a sample medical record chart?

Do we need a stationary bike in a rehab room? We already have dumbells and parallel bars. 

Do we need a Pulmonary doctor?
we responded with:

correct curtains only if it is shared.  privacy is maintained with the door closed

trash can should always have lids.

it is one extinguisher per 600 sq ft.  roughly, you will need 4 rounded off to the lowest or you can round up to the five

samples medical record yes.

equipment for the rehab room is based on your type of patients you will admit.  based on your type, I would summons the PT company or person you are contracting with and have them prepare you a document of what your basic needs are for a rehab room in your facility.  since you are not a PT professional, I always err on the side of caution in making sure you have a professional do the assessment for you. With the state, you want to provoke their happiness with you in how you are going about and doing this like the rehab room.  getting a PT to prepare your order for equipment is the right way to do this and by doing this, you are demonstrating that you have the knowledge and understanding to realize you are not a multi-trained person in all fields of medicine and that you know how and when to ask for professional assistance.  in your governing body minutes, you should document this as an event of new business to gain time and points should you not have everything in from ordering should they come while you wait for back orders.

Ideally, your medical director would be a pulmonary doctor if you planned on having trached patients.  If not pulmonary then definitely a hospitalist.  But, again we are back to the basic question of what does your patient look like on paper.  

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Top Three areas keeping you from healthcare accreditation with your congregate

CLHFs (congregate living health facility) have become high on the scale for private insurers to want to deny claims submitted for reimbursements. So, as history has shown before, one of the ways that the private payers sit longer on their monies is to deny the claims based on the fact that the facility is unaccredited.

Joint Commission and CIHQ are the only two organizations thus far that offer a program for CLHFs, and while working on a facility and its accreditation, I became aware of these top three areas CLHFs struggle with in achieving compliancy to these.

These are the top three issues:

Often times when staff take care of patients that are on the vent, along with the trachs that they have, nursing staff will provide care to these patients that encompass many tasks. Tasks that range from changing the trach tube, suctioning, changing out equipment tubing, and an array of other tasks that are often times defined as "ventilator services". This goes without saying that this can ease the nightmare of additional documentation for the staff, which is fine so long as there has been a definition to the terms of ventilator services. "Ventilator Services Provided" is often the term used, and the terms that need to be defined in the nursing policy for the facility. A simple definition of what services it is that have been provided allows then the staff to continue to offer the abbreviated version of these services condensed into just these three words for simplex documentation.

The next area problematic has to do with the initial nursing assessment that is to be done within 24 hours of admission for new admits. In processing the new admission, it is common that the LVN will do an assessment of the patient in preparing the paperwork, she/he then assesses and then signs the document with time and date. But, here lies the problem: LVNs cannot make assessments of patients. This assessment is outside their scope of practice. So, the quick and easy work around this problem is for the RN to come review the patient, assess the patient, and determine if she/he agrees with the LVN documentation. If he/she does agree with it, then he/she will need to countersign the LVN signature with a new date and time, which must also be within the first 24 hours of admission.

The 3rd area has to do with the credentials verification and processing of your Medical Director and any other physicians, PA, RNPs that make rounds and take care of the patient in your facility. The primary source verification is the website of which you would verify their licenses, printing up the verification sheet for proof that you have checked their licenses. The second source verification is the verification through the AMA for the physicians. You need to have an account with AMA and pay the $40.00 per query. The query you run is the second source of verification that you need to run and print up for their credentials verification folders.

These resolutions to these three problems can be your sure win to assisting you at getting closer to that procurement of your accredited status for CLHF.

Photo via   Pexels A Senior’s Guide to Successful Downsizing in Retirement Downsizing can be a stressful process. This is especia...